Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Wild and Willey Tour begins for real...and with a BANG!

Okay, it is now September 22, 2011 and I have just returned to Sarasota from West Palm Beach, a four hour drive across Florida via Alligator Alley that I have made twice in the past 24 hours.  Not such a bad drive, except I did most of it in the dark with a picture in my head of the news story I saw down here the other day about a boy who was out fishing and caught an EIGHT HUNDRED POUND ALLIGATOR!  Naturally, all I could think of during my drive was this 'gator's brother ambling across the foggy road and me smacking into it at 65 miles per hour.  Kept me good and alert, I'll say that!

But let's back up...Tuesday night I co-hosted an event for a friend of mine, Amy Tuten, in Sarasota.  It was a "Buy Your Own Bachelor" fundraiser for breast cancer, an event which raised $7500 last year...I am proud to say that this year, with me as an auctioneer and the gracious and generous people of Sarasota out in force, we raised double that!  And it was fun!  Congratulations to all involved!

Felicia, me, Shelli
I then went to my hotel to pack and grab a couple of hours sleep before my first trek across the Alley.  I had to be in West Palm Beach by 9AM to do an appearance on the news for the ABC affiliate there, WPBF.  The anchor that did the interview (a long, very personal one) was a delightful woman - Felicia Rodriguez - whom I had met when she covered "Jack and Erica's" wedding in Boca Raton a few years ago...here we are, joined by her co-anchor, Shelli Lockhart, another great gal!  Lucky me, huh?  You may be able to go to that station's website to see the interview...I'll check on that later...

Then it was to the next hotel for a little R&R in the sun...let me tell you, I'd forgotten how bloody hot it can get down here on the Gulf Coast of Florida!  I'm used to the deserts of LA and Santa Fe...yipes! I felt like a sausage on the grill!  Had some lunch and got ready for the evening...

Started with a Meet and Greet with some really fun people!  They had some great questions and I hope I had some great answers...one thing I know for sure...we ALL had a good time at our little get-together!  I really enjoy these...gives me the chance to answer questions, talk about my kids, speculate and bitch about the current state of things in the soap world.  Thanks so much to all who were in attendance.  You made me feel welcome and got me all jazzed for the show!

Me onstage at the WPB Improv
And what a show!  It was my first time with some new material, so I was a little nervous.  The Improv in this location is one of the most beautiful comedy clubs I've ever been in and the crowd was super-receptive so my nerves soon vanished.  I can't begin to explain how much I love entertaining folks this way; live and in-person - the magic really flows both ways!  Thanks to all who came out and a special thanks to all of you who bought T-shirts to benefit the WilleyWorld Endowment Fund.

Friday night (9/23) I'm at McCurdy's in Sarasota http://www.mccurdyscomedy.com/,
Saturday (9/24) I'll be at Sidesplitters in Tampa , http://www.sidesplitterscomedy.com/
and then back across Alligator Alley on Sunday (9/25) for my show at the Ft. Lauderdale Improv http://improvftl.com/show_right.cfm?id=98459&cart

I'll see you there!

Got a day off now...gonna go to the beach...maybe do a little 'gator fishin'!  Hope I don't catch one!

No comments:

Post a Comment